This regional environment monitoring platform facilitates the compilation of information from national monitoring and assessment programmes to make environmental information generated in the Wider Caribbean Region (WCR)  more accessible to stakeholders for national and regional decision-making. The platform supports reporting by countries on their national environmental obligations including the Cartagena Convention and its Protocols concerning Oil Spills, Pollution from Land-Based Sources and Activities (LBS) and Specially Protected Areas and Wildlife (SPAW), which will further enable the periodic development of the Convention’s “State of” reports on Marine Pollution and Marine Biodiversity.
The platform will:
- Contribute to increased awareness about the state of the Caribbean Sea and strengthen science-policy linkages
- Support monitoring of the implementation of Regional Strategies on Marine Biodiversity and Marine Pollution
- Support regional reporting on relevant regional and global commitments and Multilateral Environmental Agreements (MEAs) on biodiversity and pollution
- Facilitate improved reporting on Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 14 "Life below water" and on SDG 6 "Clean water and sanitation for all" with a focus on land-water interface and source to sea
The platform, integrated into the World Environment Situation Room (WESR), includes online information and knowledge products. MapX is used for geospatial data management and dissemination and Apache Superset is used for managing statistical data.
Country-specific and regional data is available and presented under 8 thematic areas: Climate, Biodiversity, Pollution, Inland Water, Land, Marine, Socio-economics and Governance.
The development of this platform was made possible through a collaboration with the University of Geneva (through UNEP/GRID-Geneva), with co-funding from the Global Environment Facility CReW+ Project: An integrated approach to water and wastewater management in the Wider Caribbean Region using innovative solutions and sustainable financing mechanisms (GEF CReW+) and the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (SIDA).
 The Wider Caribbean Region (WCR) comprises the insular and coastal States and Territories with coasts on the Caribbean Sea and Gulf of Mexico, as well as waters of the Atlantic Ocean adjacent to these States and Territories and includes 28 island and continental countries
External Data & Platforms
- Caribbean Marine Atlas (CMA2)
- Caribbean Regional Fisheries Mechanism (CRFM) Portal
- Caribbean Science Atlas
- Data Platform for the Small Island Developing States
- Experimental Weekly Sargassum Inundation Report (SIR v1.2) (NOAA)
- Global Mangrove Watch (GMW)
- HaitiData for risks and hazards
- Coridor Biológico en el Caribe
- Observatorio Bahia Cartagena